Friday, August 26, 2011

the very, very, very Great Britain

I had the strangest sensation while being in Great Britain---- I found myself conflicted.

On one hand, I wanted to be a part of it. No, not only for my two-week stay, but forever. I wanted to be English. Secretly, I wanted Prince William and Duchess Catherine as my royalty, I wanted an English accent, I wanted to think English food was "normal" instead of "nasty", I wanted to have their fashion sense (uhhh best outfits ever), I wanted their rich history, I wanted to love tea as much as they did, and I wanted to punt, all day everyday.

But, at the same time, I felt very happy to be different; I felt very American---- and I was proud of it. I felt like shouting the National Anthem in Trafalgar Square, I actually felt pity when people informed me they don't celebrate July 4th (how can they exist?!), I wanted to hug any American I encountered and say "y'all", I wanted to eat Chipotle and a cheeseburger again, and I nearly cried when the security guard in Dulles Airport said "welcome home" after checking my passport. 

Right now, I'm just happy I get the best of both worlds. I experienced a beautiful trip in a country that captivated and raptured me, while getting to return HOME to the purple mountains majesties....good ole 'MURICAH.

England will forever be in my heart. It will forever be a place where I'll strive to blend in and stand proud all at the same time.

Here are a little tid-bits from my stay: 


the view from my window in Cambridge

punting on the River Cam

Cambridge, England

Part of our beautiful campus

punting....with St. John's College behind me

Canterbury Cathedral...mind blowing!

White Cliffs of Dover and the English Channel...on a cold and rainy english day...perfect.

part of the market in Cambridge



Bury St. Edmonds, England

hotel where Charles Dickens stayed and promoted his novels


some cathedral ruins in Bury St. Edmonds

friendly reminder for the tourists

my favorite bridge...."Bridge of Sighs"

yep, really loved it.

my very own Pride and Prejudice moment...feel me?

drinkin' some tea on the balcony of a beautiful restaurant on the water


Big Benny :)


some of the best voices and music I've ever heard




accidentally visited Amy Winehouse's street the day after she passed away

Abbey Road, THE Abbey Road



my amazing group of ladies aboard the classic double decker! 


cheers,

d

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...