Monday, September 17, 2012

travel bucket-list: update #2

 

 

JULIET'S BALCONY


image credit


Where? Verona, Italy
Why? It is the designated site of the fictional scene between the most famous lovers of all time where Juliet profusely exclaims, "Romeo! Romeo! Wherefore art thou, Romeo?" I can only imagine the atmosphere surrounding Juliet's house that overlooks a small courtyard. Potent elements of magic, passion, and enchantment. For me, seeing this site would mean seeing my literary development come full-circle. I first read Romeo & Juliet in 9th grade English class. We had a student teacher from William & Mary named Ms. Hepp and her enthusiasm for literature was so contagious. It was while reading Romeo & Juliet that I first fell in love with English. I didn't necessarily know I wanted to pursue it at the time, but I loved the way tragedy and romance and jealousy and purity could all be expressed synonymously in one text. I remember our unit test had us write an argumentative essay about whether it was destined fate or merely immature obsession that drove the two protagonists of the play. Later, Ms. Hepp's comment on my graded assignment explained that her and I were the only true romantics of the class...apparently everyone else thought the lovers were crazy. I know visiting this place, this ancient balcony where starlight lit the scene of forbidden love, would stir my romantic beliefs of serendipity, and remind me of those first weeks when English became a part of me.


Romeo and Juliet, Royal Film Performance, 1968 (image credit)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...