Friday, August 29, 2014

#bennybdaymania

Last week, we celebrated the birthday boy.

Here at the rothwell square, we commit to filling all seven+ days of the week with birthday-ness. Since it's only the two of us, we find it's way more fun to spread out the festivities & make them last longer! Yes...we're kids at heart.

But this year, life events demanded Ben's birthday week be a total "grown up" week filled with grown up responsibilities -- welcoming all his college students back on site, starting his master's degree, hosting Southeastern University execs from Florida, and last but not least, preaching up a STORM at all of CrossWalk's weekend services. 

Despite it being a wild, whirlwind week, I refused to let it pass without acknowledging the reasons I love the birthday boy! (it's my job as a wife, you know...) So while he's busy writing sermons, reading a tower of textbooks, planning meetings, and editing university handbooks, I'll cuddle up on our couch with my iced coffee sub pumpkin spice and write about this high-performing-task-oriented-overachieving-always-leading husband of mine. 

taken by my sweet sister-in-law
(since I'll never adequately put the amount of my love into words, I'll attempt to put the moments I love into words. After all, it's the beautiful togetherness we share that makes up our love...am I right?!)

I love him during the quiet moments at the rothwell square. I love him when we have taylor swift blaring, and the kitchen is a wreck, but we're having a dance party. I love him when we're driving around town - off to do something he doesn't necessarily want to do, but he's doing for me. I love him when we walk hand-in-hand at the farmers' market. I love him when we sit next to each other at work meetings, both getting passionate about the same thing, simultaneously. I love him (enough to melt) when I catch his stare from across the room & he sends me a quick wink. I love him when he wears his boxers around the house. I love him when I groggily awake to dishes clanging in the kitchen & I know he's making us breakfast. I love him when he comes out of the H&M dressing room sporting a scoop neck tee & skinny jeans...plus a brooding squint that'd land him a magazine spread. I love him when his eyes well up while talking about the Word. I love him when he eagerly opens our home to others and hosts with expertise. I love him when he whistles before, during, after, & between his daily tasks. I love him when he slumps in his seat after every meal - fancy or fast food - his stance is always the same. I love him even when he throws his hands up in angry antics while we're arguing. I love him when he records programs on TV that he'll know I want to watch. I love him when he fills our home with music from a freshly strung guitar. I love him when he wakes me up to cuddle 10 minutes before our alarm goes off. I love him when he uses his words to encourage, empower, & edify others. I love him when he preaches - when he grips his Bible & raises his voice with conviction, with truth, with anointing. I love him when he calls my mom "mom" & tells me to always honor her.  I love him when he half smirks & rolls his eyes at something I do that he doesn't want to admit he thinks is cute.  I love him when he sticks up for his family - always loyal & brave in the midst of their trials. I love him when he proofs my articles & gives me insightful feedback. I love him when he offers me his t-shirts. I love him when he makes quick 7-11 runs for blue bell ice cream. I love him when he sends me cheeky emails at work. I love him when he mows our lawn on hot summer days - without a single complaint...and without a shirt. I love him when he reaches for my hand & prays powerful prayers over us & our families. I love him when he huffs and puffs at the TV screen during football games. I love him when he takes center stage & the microphone. I love him when we sit down for meals at our not-yet-painted table - a place of safety, sharing, conversation, & closeness. I love him when he supports my dreams, adopting them as his own even when I am afraid. I love him when I see him lead so well - so gifted, so full of wisdom, so honorable & virtuous. 





1 comment:

  1. Goodness. Making me tear up over here, sister! I'm so beyond thankful that you have found someone to love and who loves you so fully in return. I'm also obsessed with reading your beautiful words about life and love, so keep them coming. ;) Love you so much, D!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...