Wednesday, January 31, 2018

darcie's nursery tour

One of my FAVORITE projects while pregnant was designing Darcie's nursery. When we first bought our home 4 years ago, we planned for the extra bedroom beside the guest room to be an office until we needed it for kiddos. But we never got around to making the office idea happen....so it was perpetually a storage room (FULL of boxes) until I took a pregnancy test and Ben said, "Well, I guess now we have motivation to finally do something with that room!"

 I spent so many weekend mornings cozied up on the couch with my laptop scouring the internet for inspiration, waiting for packages full of pretty things to arrive on the doorstep...and as my bump grew so did my love of carefully curating a special space we'd bring our little girl home to.

This tiny room...a total of 10 feet X 10 feet was a true labor of love. All the details were lovingly chosen to evoke the warm & fuzzies with the most peaceful vibes. As I decorated, I would envision slow mornings spent playing together on the floor, afternoon greetings when a rosy cheeked babe woke up from nap time, and evening cuddles in the rocker with story time. It was all of those things and so much more. I'll never forget when I first brought her into her room. The morning after we got home from the hospital and I woke up to a baby and the feeling of happy happy HAPPY. I took her into the nursery, opened her dresser drawer, selected the inaugural outfit, sat in the chair, cuddled her close, and decided I never, ever wanted to leave. The morning light was just right as it stretched across the floor. My heart was just right as it stretched with more love than I thought possible. My daughter was just right as she stretched and yawned from that newborn slumber. It was in that moment when life seemed to be exactly what I always wanted. And to top it off, just when you think it can't get any better, Ben incidentally brought me a nutella latte and toast on ezekiel bread with strawberry jam...making it seem all too much like a fantasy world!
Such a special, special, special room -- my favorite in the whole house and the only one I always kept clean. It was pretty difficult leaving this beautiful haven just 5 months after finishing it (as our moving process happened rather quickly), but these photos below will always allow me to look back on Darcie's first room, which houses so SO many sweet and challenging memories for me.

My lovely friend Ashley from Luke & Ashley Photography graciously offered to take nursery photos (AND help me pack up my kitchen all in the same day!) Thank you, Ashley, for your part in fulfilling my home tour dreams for my blog! 

So alas, here's her humble beginnings in the tiny square room...






For my baby shower, we had everyone bring books in lieu of cards. This collection is so special to me and I loved putting everyone's favorites on display right next to the chair where we have story time.


*insert s/o to Jane Austen, Canada, and Star Wars*




Ben contributed a lot to this nursery (putting together the crib and other furniture for starters) but my favorite thing he did was build this sweet ladder! So proud of all the hard work he put into making a custom piece we can have forever.



This little pink bear was my first stuffed animal...all the way back from 1989. The little bib says "Baby's First" and I think it's SUCH a sweet, personal touch to Darcie's space. Mixing my life with hers is my favorite.




The "It Is Well" cross-stitching was a surprise gift from a dear friend from high school. I love the touch of green to accent the florals in her room.


MY HAPPY PLACE.


The donut rattle was the FIRST thing we ever bought for our one-day Rothwell Baby. Long before we were pregnant. We found it at a favorite restaurant / shop in Tampa, Florida on one of our many vacations (#rothwellroadtrip). It was just too sweet to pass up...and Ben was super ready for a baby & thought any attempt to get me to buy in to the idea would be worth it. ;)









side note: being a mama is my greatest adventure, calling, and purpose.


Too curious to focus on the story...


Her little toes!!! And her namesake book. <3 p="">


SOURCES:

Glider Rocker: Delta Children // Bookshelves: Amazon // Gold Pouf: Overstock.com // Marquee Sign: Target // Rug: Rugs USA // Lamp: Target // Changing Table: Wayfair // Storage Baskets: Target // Pom Pom Garland: Pottery Barn Kids (sold out) // You're Pretty Print: Lindsay Letters // Mary Jane Shoes: Monkey Feet USA // New York Print: Rifle Paper Co // Wooden Rattles: Bannor Toys // Crib: Babyletto // Crib Sheets: Burts Bees Baby // Macrame Wall Hanger: Home Goods // Changing Pad Cover: Little Unicorn // Blanket Ladder: Custom // Ballerina Throw Pillow: Target // Unicorn Plush Toy: Target // Swaddle Set: Little Unicorn // Play Gym: Hatchling Co

SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...