Monday, August 12, 2013

the newest Morrow teenager!

In a family the size of the Morrows, getting information to every family member can be tough. Things often slip under the radar, if you will, and we end up a few kids short at social outings. My parents tend to independently decide on "family plans," "family announcements," or "family meetings" and the memo just doesn't get around to all their busy children. This is something I actually miss since moving out.

For instance,

"So and so's coming over for dinner. Everyone clean your rooms".....inevitably someone has no idea we're having company and there's at least 1 messy room where my mom closes the door and declares it is "off limits."

Or "we're having a family lunch at Olive Garden after church; see ya there!".....inevitably the table for 12 becomes a table of 9 or 10 because other plans were made by those never informed.

Or "Nicholas needs to get picked up from football practice!".....poor Nicholas sits until dark waiting for somebody, anybody to come rescue him from the Jamestown High School parking lot.

Or even "y'all have a new cousin! So and so was born last night!".....2 weeks later one of us exclaims, "she had the baby?!?!"

Yes, on occasion, our communication skills could use some work. But if there's one thing none of us EVER forget, one thing that NEVER gets overlooked or unplanned, it's birthdays. I've had my siblings' birthdays memorized since...well, I don't even remember having to memorize them. We just know them. And although we have a big family and therefore LOTS of birthdays to celebrate over the course of a year, we never get lazy with it. My parents very purposefully established little traditions that ensure every Morrow kid feels extra special on his or her special day. Today, as kid #8 turns 13, the daily events come as second nature:

1. birthday kid gets woken up by our entire family sneaking into the bedroom and then singing "Happy Birthday" at the top of our lungs
2. birthday kid gets to go out for breakfast with Mom...her sweet way of making the day start off just right
3. birthday kid gets a chore-free day and all the siblings have to chip in a little extra
4. birthday kid gets a one-on-one "Daddy Date" with my Dad to the restaurant of his/her choice
5. birthday kid gets to choose ANYTHING for the menu of the much-anticipated Family Dinner: Birthday Edition
6. birthday kid gets lavished with love -- after the meal, we go around the table, youngest to oldest, and each say our favorite thing(s) about the birthday kid
7. birthday kid gets chocolate -- dessert is my mom's special Black Forest Chocolate Cake, unless you're Anderson who is never afraid to inform you he hates cherries!
8. birthday kid gets presents!!!!

So this time around we're celebrating Ryland Osmond Morrow. Our sweet, flexible, responsible, big-hearted, raspy-voiced thirteen-year-old whose eyes are darker than dark brown and look like moon crescents when he laughs. He's just about as tall as me and has feet the size of my Dad's. He has my mother's maiden name and conveniently favors my grandfather. He is joyful and social...but has no time for girls, so boy-crazy-middle schoolers, BACK OFF.

Happiest 13th year, Ry-Ry! I love you! Your big day is never lost on your 6 brothers, 5 sisters, 2 nephews, 1 niece, and mom & dad!

3 comments:

  1. Awwww :).

    I love this, dest. It's perfect! I laughed at the humor of our family communication and I almost cried because of how much I love all nine of yas.

    I am so blessed to have this big family and this big family is blessed to have excellent writers like you :).

    Muah,
    Whit

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I miss birthdays with the Morrows!!! :(
    2. The lack of communication stuff is SO TRUE. Hilarious!
    3. I didn't know quick black forest cake was Ry's favorite, too! :D
    4. That's okay, Ander. More for us!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post, baby. So proud of you and your gifting. Never stop writing.

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...