Sunday, September 1, 2013

summer 2013: "it's delightful when your imaginations come true, isn't it?"

This summer, one of my very biggest dreams came true. The same dream that echos in the hearts of every girl from about five years old onward. 

The opening scene of The Wedding Planner comes to mind-- a little girl donning a white veil is sitting in a sunlit room, surrounded by toys, with a Barbie and Ken also dressed up and ready for marriage. My sisters and I acted out that very same scene many times in our own barbie days. Weddings were the very best story line to play...we'd always beg my mom to buy us more ken dolls so more of our barbies could get married! I smile now....even then we knew that Barbie was better with Ken. I guess we had school-girl intuition that everyone desires to find a person who is willing to change their whole world and tailor it to yours, that single person who will sleep beside you, live beside you, and love no one besides you. 

It's just like the little girl from the movie says as she holds up the plastic bride & groom:

"From now on, he'll take care of you...and you'll take care of him. He'll make you big bologna sandwiches...and you'll buy him new socks and a white briefcase. And you'll live happily ever after. You're the luckiest girl in the world, Barbie."

On July 13, 2013, barbie matrimonies were long gone. I was the one wearing white. I was saying "yes" to a man who is tall, dark, and much more handsome than any ken doll. I had my own precious promises written in a mini molskine notebook and I was ready to declare them to the world. My overall vision for the day that first originated in my mind had been flushed out, sketched out, mapped out, and planned out. Every detail had been crafted. Every chandelier had been hung. The 7 month wedding planning journey was over and there I was, sitting in a salon chair getting my hair done by my talented sister, totally freaking out. I knew it was the beginning of a long, long day (as I had been told), but I knew it was also the beginning of much more. No, of everything. That day was when it ALL began. 

I need help from one of my most favorite books to summarize my point:

“But Anne with her elbows on the window sill, her soft cheek laid against her clasped hands, and her eyes filled with visions, looked out unheedingly across city roof and spire to that glorious dome of sunset sky and wove her dreams of a possible future from the golden tissue of youth's own optimism. All the Beyond was hers, with its possibilities lurking rosily in the oncoming years — each year a rose of promise to be woven into an immortal chaplet.” -- L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

My wedding day was the beginning of all my hopes, all my imaginations, all my plans, and all that God has promised to fulfill in my life! It was as if my story leading up to that point no longer mattered, suddenly everything that came after was much more exciting and enticing. I realized I am no longer out to be the great Destiny Morrow, but rather WE are out to be the great Rothwell Family. And all our goals and dreams are now shared. His are mine and mine are his. How amazing it is to have TWO people pushing you to become who you want, to pray like you should, to love like Christ loved, to cling to your passions, and dream up new, crazy dreams. So, taking a cue from my red-headed kindred spirit, I'm sitting with my chin in my palms, peering out the window of life, confident that all the beyond is ours. 



“All in all, it was a never-to-be-forgotten summer — one of those summers which come seldom into any life, but leave a rich heritage of beautiful memories in their going — one of those summers which, in a fortunate combination of delightful weather, delightful friends and delightful doing, come as near to perfection as anything can come in this world.” -- L.M. Montgomery, Anne's House of Dreams

1 comment:

  1. ................ uhhh.....____

    That's how I feel after reading this post: speachless.

    Wow, what a heart-felt, moving description of how your dreams are coming true! Like I said in your speech, you may not always say it, but you'll most definitely write it... and write it well.

    I love all of your ANNE references. I love that we grew up on Anne and as little girls we waited and watched as she slowly fell in love with the boy next door, Gilbert Blythe. And look at you now, your very own dreams are coming true with your very own boy next door. I just love it :).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...