Thursday, September 19, 2013

baby born blue



When Brianna entered the world on September 19, 1991, her head was a deep shade of blue. My dad has frequently described the horror he experienced as he witnessed the umbillical chord wrapped around her neck, completely cutting off her circulation. He also describes the relief he felt as he unwound the chord and saw her begin to breathe.

God gave us a miracle that day.


I call Brianna my soul sister. We just "get" each other underneath the surface, the same things get our hearts pumping. She's deep and delicate, detailed and expressive...a true dreamer. She's the sister who's always interested in what music I'm listening to lately. She's the sister who will without fail always ask how my day has been. She's the sister who will put off plans with others to get in that quality time (our shared love language). She's the sister who will ask about my writing...and will make me read it aloud. She's the sister who encourages, encourages, and encourages...yet still wants to just listen. She's the sister who does art for fun and tells us to try it...even though she knows we're not nearly as artistic. She's the sister who knows the power of music and its way of provoking action. She's the sister who journals with quotes and magazine clippings. She's the sister who has made creating her profession, and views her job as a way to make people happy: "people with good hair are happy."

Happiness is her life's ambition.

Brianna is anything BUT blue.

Happiest birthday, soul sista. Dance like you're twenty-two. (and I can say that without shame because you love t.swift right along with me). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...