Wednesday, June 2, 2010

introducing: aunt dedi


Even at four years old, I still had trouble talking. My older sister, Taylor-Lynn, was my faithful translator. If you were to meet me and ask me my name, I would gladly and confidently respond with, "dedi modo."

Two years ago, my mom had a baby. Unplanned. Number 10. I was 18 years old and graduating high school. I instantly fell in love with Anderson and prided myself on taking care of him. A couple months ago, he learned to say my name. "Dedi."

Now, I am an aunt. The AUNT of Gabriel Alexander Louis, born May 28th, 2010. My brother-in-law, Drew, has fittingly titled me "aunt dedi."

I am currently in Dallas, Texas, staying in the will-be nursery at Taylor and Drew's little house. The room is already decorated with little wooden "g's" that are standing up on his dark oak armoire. The closet is full of little infant onesies. The bathroom is complete with baby soap, baby washcloths, and baby powder.

The surroundings remind me of my new role and all the associated feelings:

I am proud - proud of my sister who endured 15 hours of labor, and who gave birth to gabriel naturally.
I am impressed - impressed that the girl who cried at bee stings and spankings could go through that excruciating pain for someone so small, yet so significant.
I am content - content watching drew's large hands hold his son while bending his 6'5" frame to whisper and sooth gabriel.
I am committed - committed to spoiling and fighting for this little boy.
I am anxious - anxious to see who he will become and what great things he will accomplish.
I am happy - happy for the Louis family which is forever changed and bettered.
I am confident - confident that they will be such extraordinary and rewarding parents.
I am compelled - compelled to hold him nonstop, sing to him, stare
at him, snuggle him, etc.
I am humbled - humbled by Taylor's selflessness.
I am convinced - convinced that those 10 little fingers and 10 little toes are evidence of God's ultimate masterpiece -- life.
I am inspired - inspired to start my own family one day, and become a mommy.
I am overwhelmed - overwhelmed with love for gabriel.
I am blessed - blessed because I get to be a part of his family, blessed because he will know me one day as someone who truly adores him, blessed to witness this miracle of life, and blessed to watch the miracle continue to unfold.

Welcome to the world, Gabriel, I promise to mother you a little -- and befriend you a lot.



- dedi

4 comments:

  1. I love your writing. It makes me cry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really beautiful, Destiny Morrow. I love you. And I am so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're aunts! :) I cannot believe it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...