Sunday, June 20, 2010

dad aka hero

Many people know my dad. Lord knows, we can't run into Target or Martin's without someone waving him down to talk, and we can't go to a restaurant without the owner saying a quick hello. He walks away from each person with a huge grin on his face and explains with confidence, "that was my friend; I have them everywhere."

So yes, many people know my dad, but not near as many people know the man that I know, the man underneath the friendly conversations in the frozen food section or the order of a medium-rare steak with potatoes.

But there is so much more to him.

At the dinner table, he is always the one who goes around the table and says, "tell me about your day."
He gives us advice about our jobs, school, and friends.
No matter how busy he gets, he never fails to schedule dates with my mom.
He stays up way past his bedtime to add animation effects to his high school daughter's powerpoint presentation -- even despite her telling him it's not necessary.
He gets emotional over every single father's day card. You would think after 22 years of being a dad, he would keep in under control.
He gets his hair cut for free, but (despite his hairdresser telling him not to) he leaves a $20 bill every time he's finished - which is more than the price of a men's cut.
At every single one of my high school choir concerts, he would sneak into the auditorium at least an hour early to save seats for the fam. It would always be near the front, and he would always cheer very loudly.
He will never, ever forget to tell you how much he loves you.
On election day, he rearranges his schedule to fit mine and B's so that he can go vote with his girls.
He is passionate about God and people. Which effectively sums up his profession.
He has been offered, three times, to work at the national office in Springfield, MO as the national church planting director. He has turned it down every single time because he loves his church in little Williamsburg, VA.
He takes us on "daddy dates" on our birthdays.
He willingly lets us borrow money from him if we're ever in a pinch...and doesn't charge interest!
He mentors the son of close friend who passed away a couple months ago. Once a week, he invests in this young man who is trying to fulfill his father's legacy.
He surprises my mom by completely re-landscaping the yard when she goes out of town.
He has mastered living with four teenage daughters with a listening ear, kind words, many outfit appraisals, patience through the drama, and sympathy toward hormones.
He always gives second chances, and encourages us to do the same.
He makes the best nachos and the best waffles...but besides that, pretty much stays out of the kitchen.
He diligently throws the football, runs routes, and catches passes with my 15-year-old brother every chance he gets...soley because my brother dreams of being a quarterback and my dad knows it's his job to help him get there.
He prays. A lot. And he reads his Bible. Every night.

There is a saying, "it is much easier to become a father than to be one"

...becoming a father is natural, simple, and merely opens the door to the opportunity. But being a father - being a father requires one to handle that overwhelming challenge with grace, patience, and wisdom. Being a dad is being a hero. My dad has truly been a dad.

- d

3 comments:

  1. People find inspiration in all sorts of things. All to often I notice that people find inspiration from heartbreak- I am one of those people. But because of you, truly-because of you, that's changing. You find inspiration in the most beautiful part of this life- people. Your rock of a father, your beautiful sisters, your devoted boyfriend. I admire that more than you'll ever know. I know this blog was about your dad, but seriously, lady. Your words are phenomenal and powerful and moving and uplifting and inspirational. I love you.

    Mark Morrow is an out-of-this-world kind of father. A one of a kind. A gem. You are a very very lucky girl to have him. Just as lucky as he is to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No matter what I write ABOUT, you always always always encourage my WRITING. You have no idea how much I treasure that. I am so thankful for all the encouragement...it is what births a new entry time and time again. :) thanks to you, love...you help me do it all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THIS IS AMAZING! I LOVE IT!!!!!!! DESTINY, YOU ARE AMAZING! AND SO INSPIRING! I AM PROUD TO SAY THAT YOU ARE MY OLDER SISTER! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...