Saturday, July 3, 2010

"happy."

Today was beach day, or in other words, a good day. I finally whipped out my new straw hat, I applied the sun tan lotion, I packed the lunches, grabbed the towels, made the soundtrack, and off we went - me and my boy.

I often have epiphanies on really good days. I think this is because I am able to see things the way my heart longs to see things - purely - without the frustrations of life trying to sabotage my vision. I open myself up and soak in my surroundings in hopes of gaining new perspectives, new inspiration, new cleansing, and new ideas. Today, it was a revelation about the little moments.

For instance, Ben, although anxious to listen to his brand new cd, happily conceded to my showing him my "current top 3 songs that make me close my eyes and just sing." For instance, Ben quickly taking the cooler from me when he looked over to see me carrying it. For instance, Ben laughing/making fun of my weird habits, but laughing that I-actually-like-that-about-you laugh. For instance, kissing on the beach and feeling oh-so One Tree Hill-esque. For instance, simple small talk while laying on our towels in the sun. For instance, falling asleep in the car on the way home...and waking up to find my boyfriend holding my hand. For instance, enjoying Ben's horrified facial expressions when I got him to believe something completely unbelievable. For instance, knowing Ben would order a blooming onion at outback, and being really happy I didn't have to ask for it.

The little moments are the important moments.

In those moments I'm reminded that beyond the affection and the adoration, Ben is my best friend...and we truly have fun together. When discussing this tonight with my dearest Mikayla, she asked me,

"where's your heart, d?"
"happy," I say.
...for that's all that matters.
...that's the most important thing.

in the end, the "timeless romance" that is our dream may just end up being that "faithful friendship" that we always need.

"romance eventually fades. it doesn't raise kids or pay bills. but best friends? they can figure that out." - mikayla nicole :)


4 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...