Tuesday, January 11, 2011

ENGL 308

Today marked the beginning of spring semester 2011 at CNU.

I walked into my 11:00 am class (my second of the morning) and sat down with those butterfly jitteries. I stripped off my peacoat and scarf, glanced around at my fellow "english majors", and waited.

am I ready?, I thought.

Professor Marinova walked into the class right on time. She donned a short, cropped cut, big brown eyes, professional attire, and a beautiful bulgarian accent.

"so you're the lucky 25...you wouldn't believe the waiting list for this course."

We went over the syllabus and I slowly started feeling like I was shrinking...like I was in the wrong class...like I couldn't do this.

"this is going to be a tough semester"
"this is going to be the hardest english course you'll ever take"
"it won't be easy, but..."
"I bet you're counting how many times I say 'it will be a challenge'"

Yes, she reminded us throughout the entire class period what an undertaking this would prove to be. See, English 308W is "Literature, Theory, and Culture" where we essentially learn all the schools of literary theories, analyze literature, apply the theories, write critical analysis essays, read more literature, analyze more, memorize more schools of thought, look at literature through those lens...so on and so forth. It the "archway" for english majors. For me, it is the responsibility to myself to be equipped; it is the knowledge I need to distinguish why literature is good literature.


am I ready? I need to be.


- d

3 comments:

  1. I hope you are doing well at CNU and I miss you when you are gone from home!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were born ready, Destiny. Ever since we were pre-teens and you read me all your stories...I marveled at your diction and fascinating story line, I knew you would be a great writer. You always were. You will be.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...